I have put together some general information on founder. If your horse has foundered or you are concerned about the possibility, this information will provide answers to the most common questions and educate you on what you’re dealing with, causes, diagnostics and treatment. This is not to be used in place of professional assistance, but to make you an informed horse owner. This will help you make knowledgeable decisions on your horse’s care and treatment and help return your horse to the happy and healthy individual that he should be.
So drag your favorite comfy chair over to the computer, get a nice big cup of coffee and settle in for a good read.
Click here to begin
Select your topic below
- What is founder?
- Where does the term founder come from?
- What can trigger founder to occur?
- Is there anything I can do to help reduce the possibility of founder in my horse?
- Are some breeds more susceptible to founder?
- How can I tell if my horse has foundered?
- What is the best way to take x-rays to detect founder?
- Will blood tests help determine if my horse has foundered?
- Are there different levels of severity to founder?
- Can founder affect all four feet?
- Is road founder different from regular founder?
- What is Chronic Founder?
- Does a horse’s environment play a factor in treatment?
- Are shoes a good way of treating founder?
- Is raising the heels a good idea for foundered horses?
- Is abscessing normal for foundered horses?
- Where does abscessing occur first in newly foundered feet?
- Is there anything I can do to help comfort my horse during healing?
- Is there only one trimming or shoeing protocol that works?
- What can I do to help the professional I have employed?
- What if your founder specialist is working with you and your farrier/trimmer remotely?
- How do you take adequate and accurate pictures for review and records?
- What photo views are necessary for accurate reviewing of the feet?
Please contact me if you have any questions or would like to discuss your horse’s condition.